Spur gears have their own advantages, disadvantages and applications.
Advantages of Spur Gear:
- Spur gears have high power transmission efficiency.
- They are compact and easy to install.
- They offer constant velocity ratio.
- Unlike belt drives, spur gear drives have no slip.
- Spur gears are highly reliable.
- They can be used to transmit large amount of power (of the order of 50,000 kW).
Disadvantages of Spur Gear:
- Spur gear drives are costly when compared to belt drives.
- They have a limited center distance. This is because in a spur gear drive, the gears should be meshed and they should be in direct contact with each other.
- Spur gears produce a lot of noise when operating at high speeds.
- They cannot be used for long distance power transmission.
- Gear teeth experience a large amount of stress.
Applications of Spur Gear:
Spur gears have a wide range of applications. They are used in:
- Metal cutting machines
- Power plants
- Marine engines
- Mechanical clocks and watches
- Fuel pumps
- Washing Machines
- Gear motors and gear pumps
- Rack and pinion mechanisms
- Material handling equipments
- Automobile gear boxes
- Steel mills
- Rolling mills
If you know about any other advantages, disadvantages and applications of spur gear, you can share it by commenting on this article