Gyroscopic effect

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Surjeet Sankararaj 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

leela kishore
    Participant

what is gyroscopic effect? how it occours?

Surjeet Sankararaj
    Keymaster

Gyroscopic effect is the effect that helps to maintain the orientation of a rotating body. Gyroscopes are devices that make use of the gyroscopic effect. A very good example of gyroscope is a bicycle wheel. Take a look at the following video to clearly understand gyroscopic effect:

leela kishore
    Participant

can we explain gyroscopic effect theoretically? if we can, please elxplan.

Surjeet Sankararaj
    Keymaster

Refer this article for a good theoretical explanation of gyroscopic effect:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/what-is-gyroscopic-effect.html

leela kishore
    Participant

I am not able to understand about this gyroscopic effect.I have lot of confusions about this like, why gyroscopic effect acts only on a rotating body?How it help’s to maintain orientation of rotating body?

leela kishore
    Participant

Can we consider gyroscopic effect like gravitation. i.e gravitation acts on a body but we don’t know why it occurs, can we imagine gyroscopic effect also in this way?

Surjeet Sankararaj
    Keymaster

The orientation of a rotating body changes only when an external torque acts on it. In a gyroscope, the angular momentum of the spinning disc and gimbals (if any) minimize the external torque acting on the disc. This is the reason why, the spinning disc is able to maintain the orientation in three-dimensional space.

Angular momentum is simply the amount of rotation an object has, taking its mass and shape into account. It is the product of moment of inertia and angular velocity of the rotating body.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.